Thursday, December 22, 2005

Ouch! So much for the *pinch me, I think I'm dreaming!* theory, two nights ago I distinctly remember feeling pain in my dream. I had a really vivid quasi-lucid (pre-programmed) dream. By pre-programmed I just mean that I'd gotten up about two hours early (missing about 4 for full sleep) and I went back to sleep after realizing what time it was. Drifting off, the fantasies I usually indulge in somehow made their way into my dream, in a way that will become apparent.
In any case, I soon found myself in a pretty strange situation, specifically that I was in a stranger's house after having walked them home (they were drunk) and about to leave the kid brother says, "Watch out for the wolves, they come out around this time." It wasn't even dark yet or anything so I wasn't really worried, but I looked out the windowpane in case and saw what I could believe were animal tracks leading down.
I put on my shoes and go outside, but waited too long and the wolves start running down from the hills purposefully. As soon as they turn the corner I decide to try to make a run for it (without even warning the parents that I saw them). I barely clear the doorstep before a wolf sees me and starts running after me. I try to run but it's no use and he jumps into contact teeth first with by gut. I feel blinding pain and black out as it gets worse than I can imagine (exactly that much pain, I suppose).
Here's where the lucid part comes in: I was able to start over from any point in my dream, losing only certainty on the level of what had happened earlier (if that makes sense). This time I try to run up the hill but again they get me. I can see trying over and over again when the father comes over. I tell him about the dream I'm having and he thinks I'm complaining. "I need a gun," I tell him.
Incidentally, I ended up deciding to go without food that evening (a stubborn capricious decision) and only realized later that the hunger pangs I'd felt because of that corresponded to where the wolf bit me.

No comments: